Medical Report on the benefits of Infrared Heat Therapy
I am a Medical Practitioner with more than 40 years post qualification experience; I spent many years as a General practitioner within the National Health Service working in the Glasgow area. Now in semi-retirement I have 3 part-time appointments:
- Public Health Physician – I am the medical housing advisor to East Renfrewshire, Renfrewshire and Inverclyde Councils, giving advice on the provision of council housing on medical grounds.
- I am a qualified occupational physician working mainly in the offshore oil industry and commercial diving, providing medical support and advice in these areas.
- I am also the senior medical advisor of the British Boxing Board of Control for the Scottish Area, and provide all aspects of medical care for professional boxing north of the border.
I first met Robin Caird the inventor and the originator of the EXO²/FabRoc® heating system in 1981 when he joined my medical practice as a patient. He described his totally novel heating system to me at that time. Over the succeeding years, he demonstrated to me various prototypes and applications of the polymer heating fabric which has incredible versatility and can be produced in any size or shape depending on the areas requiring to be heated. I became convinced even in these early days that the heating system had major medical applications and benefits.
Infrared Heat as a Therapeutic Agent
Since time immemorial, heat has been used to soothe painful areas of the body. The conditions which are most amenable to heat therapy are usually listed as:
- Muscle pain and spasm
- Joint Stiffness
- Raynauds Syndrome
- Venous insufficiency or venous disease
- Chronic fatigue or immune deficiency
The patient can apply infrared heat at any time of the day and for as long as the user wants. It is known that the infrared radiation can penetrate for up to 3.5 inches under the skin, this results in several health enhancing results.
- Circulation of blood improves, the delivery and utilisation of oxygen by the body's tissues improves. Potentially toxic substances and cellular waste products are eliminated.
- Healing and regeneration of tissues is promoted.
- Metabolic rate is increased.
- Stimulation of the hypothalamus occurs; this area of the brain controls the production of neurochemicals, involved in such biological processes as sleep, mood, pain sensations and blood pressure.
- General well-being is enhanced, the immune system benefits by improved white cell function. Tissues are regenerated; excess fat is metabolised aiding weight reduction.
- Painful conditions such as those caused by arthritis and joint and muscle discomfort are relived, regeneration and fast healing of damaged tissues is stimulated.
- Infrared heat applied to the body's tissues encourages the vibration of water molecules as they heat up, as the breakdown of the water molecules occurs, encapsulated gases and other toxic materials are released and the body becomes rejuvenated.
There are many millions of sufferers in the UK alone. Physiotherapists employ heat in the form of heat lamps, wax baths, vigorous massage, liniments and short wave diathermy in order to relieve pain in inflamed joints and muscles. Sufferers experience great relief from these measures but find that between treatment sessions which may only take place once or twice per month the pain begins to recur. The EXO²/FabRoc® heating system can be designed to fit any body part and produce a garment which will deliver heat to the affected area in a cheap and safe manner, thus allowing frequent treatments which can be regulated by the sufferer. The control system of the appliances is such that individuals cannot burn themselves, even by prolonged use in excess of recommended limits. Knees, hips, lower back, hands and neck are the most frequently affected areas.
The EXO²/FabRoc® heating system is a novel form of infrared heating which exists with wide ranging medical applications, and a potential market of huge proportions on a worldwide basis.
It’s advantages are :-
- Cheap and easy to use
- Non Hazardous
- Cannot cause the user any harm
- Material can be prepared to fit any area
- Readily portable
- Requires only a minimal degree of training in its use
Dr Gordon M. Duff
M.B.Ch.B., D.A., D.R.C.O.G., D.Occ Med
Excerpt from the ‘Raynauds & Scleroderma Association’ Newsletter No. 107
When Anne (Anne H Mawdsley MBE – Chief Executive & Founder of the Association) went down the Bob Run in St Moritz, EXO² kindly provided her with a heated gilet which was very effective. They now have a new range of heated garments. Over Christmas Fiona and Anne tried out a few of their new items namely the heated jacket, the neck warmer and back warmer.
Heated Neckwarmer (EXO² HeatBand):-
When Anne first put this on it felt rather bulky around her neck due to the velcro fastening, but after wearing it for a short time she got used to it (even wearing it in bed) and enjoyed the heat. It is ideal if you have problems with neck pain but also your body feels warmer when your neck is warm. The miniature power pack and charger heat the neck warmer for up to 6 hours per session. While in use the power pack fits elegantly in to a small pocket on the side of the neck warmer.
Heated Back Support Belt (EXO² HeatWave):-
The back warmer has a portable battery pack and the Velcro means that it fastens easily around the waist. This allows the back warmer to provide heat to the lower back area. After having it on a few minutes Anne and Fiona could really feel the heat. There are struts inside for lumbar support. They both thought it was excellent and would certainly recommend it to others.
Heated Jacket (EXO² StormWalker Jacket):-
This jacket has a heating element in the lower back and both front pockets and the power pack fits snuggly in to one of the pockets. You can unzip the sleeves if preferred. The jacket really made a huge difference when going out (Anne wore it indoors as well!). The heat generated feels really warm and cosy. Anne said that she could happily wear it all day every day! Personally she would like it to be slightly longer but as it is reasonably lightweight and not bulky, it is fine to wear under a coat. The other advantage is that the switch on the power pack can be turned on and off as required. The heated panel located at the lower back/kidney area, is designed to attain a temperature of approximately 46 degrees C, lasting for up to 3 hours on a single charge, or several days when used for quick ‘boosts’ of warmth. The heated panel technology is so versatile and robust it can even be hand washed!
The following was sent to us by a member who purchased the sleeveless jacket:
“Just to let you know what a great product the EXO² jacket is! I have Raynaud’s and wear it all day between December and March (even when indoors!), and get it out for chilly days. It has greatly reduced my symptoms. I would go as far as saying that this has changed my life”. Nikki Adams.
Please click on the links below for further/more comprehensive information.